508 - To remove unwanted wires or not?

for our overseas visitors
Plaats reactie
Wolvesamongus

508 - To remove unwanted wires or not?

Bericht door Wolvesamongus »

Hi, sorry my question is in English if you understand you can reply in Dutch and I can do the google translate thing. I have a ex NATO 508d Dutch ambulance only 3,000km on the clock I have wired my habitation electrics to 12v do I take out all the unwanted wiring and fuse boxes or just take out the fuses and leave the wires in situ? I have removed the overkill Webasto heater and all the unwanted switches on the centre console fluorescent lights out just need to get rid of the trailer type socket on the roof above the driver seat what was it for? I only need the essential wiring and fuses lights, horn, wipers etc I have no manual for the wiring and there is so much of it and all the fuse identification are in Dutch.

Kind Regards---------Kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Re: To remove unwanted wires or not?

Bericht door Admin »

Hi Kim,

Remove or leave... is a completely personal choice. I, personally, would leave the excess wiring in the vehicle, because one never knows about future expansion. Then it's easier to use existing wiring, rather than drawing new wires.
But if you go for "lean and mean" you might as well take it out.

Military ambulances contain some "trailer type sockets", metal with a screw-on cap, though AFAIK 2-pole ones: close to the driver's door and/or the back doors one to start the engine with an external 24 V auxiliary battery and sometimes one on the roof to connect extra search lights, sirens or horns.
Posting a picture is greatly appreciated by all readers and helps to identify parts.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

No man can deny, die Gedanken sind frei!
fuzzyduck

Bericht door fuzzyduck »

Maybe you can read my blog in my signature for some pics and for my build. Also ex nato Ambulance. It's all in Dutch but maybe I can be of service if you write me an email.

Ps. Mine is a German one but 95% same
Ps2. I stripped mine of excess wires. My new electrics are labeled with a labelmaker. For future reference. NOW I know what is what. In 5 years I don't :mrgreen:
Actief aan het bloggen sinds juli 2012 op http://mb508camperbouw.blogspot.com
Hervat in april 2014. Weer gestopt in oktober 2014.
Wolvesamongus

Bericht door Wolvesamongus »

Thanks for the replies, I think it best for me to leave the remaining wires in, I just need to translate the labels in the fuse boxes to identify for the essential equipment as mentioned earlier. Fuzzy duck I checked out your blog nice work and I will take up your kind offer and email you if Have any problems. I see you have kept the van original on the outside I was going to do the same but would have problems getting into Morocco and might be tarketed in Turkey etc.
Once I find out how to post pictures I will put some up of the nearly finished van, it has taken me six months to date it's very basic and simple the way I like things, like the truck little to go wrong.

Regards-------Kim
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Re: 508 - To remove unwanted wires or not?

Bericht door listerdiesel »

Are the stud sizes on the 17.5" rims the same as the 16" rims?

614D has 16" rims, 814D has the 17.5" rims but also has larger wheel stud size.

Maybe not relevant to the 508D?

Peter
DVIII

Bericht door DVIII »

the 17.5 wheels are also available in small stud size, then the are known as L608d wheels , and actually they go well with 17,5x8 tires , unlike the 17,5x215 on a L814 light truck . i am not afraid to use the truckwheels , but the rear the inner wheels can become out of centre , so I use the same open washers as on the outside under the nut on the inside , and i check the nuts frequently . one has te check thoroughly the front rims do not eat away the steering linkhead , some type of rims are just to big on the inside diameter ( read this as too small)
Oh lord won't you buy me...... en de toekomst mag wel wat moderner !
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Bericht door listerdiesel »

OK, thanks for the information.

We changed all of our 215/75R16C tyres for 225/75R16C, 121 load rating on the back axle and 118 load rating on the front.

We won't be anywhere near 6 tonnes, but we do have to carry a 600kg engine in the back between shows.

Peter
Plaats reactie