Name this please

for our overseas visitors
Plaats reactie
Wolvesamongus

Name this please

Bericht door Wolvesamongus »

Can someone kindly name this switch in Dutch please I am trying to find it on the military wiring diagram to sort a problem in that it does not kill the power.
Afbeelding

Kind regards------kim
paulv

Re: Name this please

Bericht door paulv »

I'll give you some Dutch words, it will be a combination of those:

switch = schakelaar
on = aan
off = uit
battery = accu
main :OO: = hoofd
current = stroom
tension/voltage :OO: = spanning
red = rood
black = zwart
wire = draad

Succes, Paul
Laatst gewijzigd door paulv op 18 sep 2014, 19:48, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Bezoek altijd welkom!
Wolvesamongus

Many thanks Paul I'll open the PDF file and try and suss it, strangely I can't see the switch on the diagram, but I guess it must be there somewhere, I go through the file index and see if the words or a combination of them that you gave appear.

Kind Regards----kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

Although your hoofd may be mean, the proper translation of hoofd- is main :think:
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

No man can deny, die Gedanken sind frei!
Wolvesamongus

In English it would be called a cut out switch, is Aan-Uitschakelaar correct?

Regards-----kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

Aan-uitschakelaar is nothing more than on-off switch.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

Wolvesamongus

Admin schreef:Aan-uitschakelaar is nothing more than on-off switch.
In theory that is what the switch in question is, push it in power off, push it to let it out power on.

Regards----kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

Mercedes Benz have delivered many vehicles in Sonderausführung (SA, special edition) for the military, fire brigades, roadworkers etc.
They often have a master switch somewhere close to the battery, to switch off all power for safety purposes. Sometimes this is a key switch
Afbeelding
under the diver's seat, in your case the master switch operates a relay.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

Grumble

Bericht door Grumble »

paulv schreef: tention = spanning
What Paul means is TENSION, but he actually means VOLTAGE :angel:
Wolvesamongus

Thanks Grumble sussed that one already.
Ernst there is and never was a master switch around the battery box, the switch on the dash that I am referring to used to kill the power at the ignition, it has power to it because the light comes on at the switch but it is not killing the power to the ignition or dash instruments as it use to like there is a open circuit because no matter if the switch is in or out the key makes contact when put in.
The only thing in the battery box is this what is it for?
Afbeelding

Regards-----kim
GerardM
Contacteer:

Bericht door GerardM »

That switch on the dash controls the main 'mass relay' that is mounted in a little box on the drivers side on the height of your knees when you step into the cabin.
It's the thing that makes big 'click' noise when switched on or off.

Regards,

Gerard
Afbeelding Afbeelding Afbeelding

Mercedes-Benz 508D NL Ex-Ambu 1987 +++ Mercedes-Benz 280TE 1981 +++ Qualität ist kein Zufall +++
Wolvesamongus

GerardM schreef:That switch on the dash controls the main 'mass relay' that is mounted in a little box on the drivers side on the height of your knees when you step into the cabin.
It's the thing that makes big 'click' noise when switched on or off.

Regards,

Gerard
Yes it makes a big click when the dash button in question is pushed in or out but is not killing power.

Regards----kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

Wolvesamongus schreef:the switch on the dash that I am referring to used to kill the power at the ignition, it has power to it because the light comes on at the switch but it is not killing the power to the ignition
Dear Kim,

I think it's time to go back to basics! Your vehicle is called 508D, isn't it?
Let me explain the meaning of this MB type code:
- 5 metric tonnes GVM
- 08 x 10 DIN hp = 80 hp (actually 85)
- D diesel engine

Gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.

Horsepower (hp) is unit of measurement of power, the rate at which work is done. The most common conversion factor, especially for electrical power, is 1 hp = 746 watts. The term was adopted in the late 18th century by Scottish engineer James Watt to compare the output of steam engines with the power of draft horses. It was later expanded to include the output power of other types of piston engines, as well as turbines, electric motors and other machinery. The definition of the unit varied between geographical regions. Most countries now use the SI unit watt for measurement of power.

A diesel engine is an internal combustion engine that uses the heat of compression to initiate ignition and burn the fuel that has been injected into the combustion chamber. This contrasts with spark-ignition engines such as a petrol engine (gasoline engine) or gas engine (using a gaseous fuel as opposed to gasoline), which use a spark plug to ignite an air-fuel mixture.

A diesel engine from the 508 era will keep running without batteries, generators etc. once it runs. And without any electric equipment you still can push it or tow it, release the clutch and... away she goes!
or dash instruments as it use to like there is a open circuit because no matter if the switch is in or out the key makes contact when put in.
So the switch originally served another purpose. Maybe someone with a similar vehicle has a suggestion.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

GerardM
Contacteer:

Bericht door GerardM »

Confusion confusion.

Kim has a 508 NATO ambulance, very similar if not the same as the NL version.

If Kim writers 'power', he means 'electricity'.

Since the switch in question controls the mass relay, we should look for something in that chain.

Cheers,

Gerard

Mercedes-Benz 508D NL Ex-Ambu 1987 +++ Mercedes-Benz 280TE 1981 +++ Qualität ist kein Zufall +++
Yoni

Bericht door Yoni »

Did you make a straight mass cable from your start batterys to your living batterys or something like that?
That would explain why it don't cut off the power cause there is a mass bridge somewhere.

Open the box at the driver seat and check if the big cables ar connect to 2 different contacts at the relais.
Wolvesamongus

Hi Yoni, thanks for the reply, yes indeed it is the NL 508d version, I have from my start batteries a single positive side cable going to a cut out switch then through a Durite Intelligent relay 24v to 2x 110Ah leisure batteries in series as are the start batteries, if I throw the cut out to the relay hence no power draw from the start batteries it makes no difference to the dash cut out button in question. I have checked the terminals at the mass relay all sound but will check again in the morning.
I have stepped down to 12v the other side of the leisure batteries.

Regards-----kim
GerardM
Contacteer:

Bericht door GerardM »

Back to the original question. The switch is called Batterij-hoofdschakelaar, in the 2TH files I sent it is in the drawing on page 116 as item 51.

Regards,

Gerard

Wolvesamongus

GerardM schreef:Back to the original question. The switch is called Batterij-hoofdschakelaar, in the 2TH files I sent it is in the drawing on page 116 as item 51.

Regards,

Gerard
Many thanks Gerard, I looked on that file 2TH and wiring plan guessed I missed it, now I have a reference I should be OK.

Regards-----Kim
Wolvesamongus

Well almost at the point of giving up on this one, checked all the wiring that I can see including mass relay just need to check relay number 52 on the diagram when I can find it (help) if I have no success I will just fit a battery cutout switch on the side of the drivers seat, the ignition key makes contact at the mass relay no matter if the switch in question is in or out so that might be the easy option for me I think.

Regards-----kim
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

In that case I'd leave out the relay and the switch completely to prevent the relay coil drawing current and draining your batteries. Most 508s don't have this switch at all.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

Wolvesamongus

Admin schreef:In that case I'd leave out the relay and the switch completely to prevent the relay coil drawing current and draining your batteries. Most 508s don't have this switch at all.
Yes I think you right the only trouble is there are Severn wires not the five as in the diagram coming out the back of the switch linked to other dashboard switches etc and I can't find the relay.

Regards----kim
Plaats reactie