Merc 609 swb ambulance shock Absorbers

for our overseas visitors
Plaats reactie
Robfp

Merc 609 swb ambulance shock Absorbers

Bericht door Robfp »

Hi,
My SWB 609 ambulance is very bouncy compared to my previous van a merc 508 and I think it is to do with the factory setting for the suspension.

i have been trying to look at the forum via google translate and I think the answer to my question is in there but google doesnt make it clear. :-)

Do I need to replace the shock absorbers or the springs and if so what shocks do I need to replace them with.

Thanks a lot in advance

Rob
Yoni

Re: Merc 609 swb ambulance shock Absorbers

Bericht door Yoni »

Its the van itself, the absorbers wouldn't make the difference you hope..
I think the parabolic springs are to soft in between the spacers, you can check the absorbers by taking one site of and pul them outwards if you have a lot of resisance there good if you pull them out easily buy new ones.

Don't go for the stock ambulance shocks they will cost min. 140 euro pp ex vat, just go for the normal 609 sachs they will cost you 140 a set.

good luck!
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

What do you call bouncy?

When I changed from a MB608 to a MB817 (with parabolic springs) it felt like I was driving a French car rather than a German lorry.
Parabolic spring suspension is much softer (like they would like it to be in an ambulance). Wouldn't it be a matter of getting used to?

The shock absorbers only prevent the vehicle body from going on rocking forever. Normal is just once or twice, then the body should stand still again. You can try their action like Yoni suggests.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

No man can deny, die Gedanken sind frei!
Yoni

Bericht door Yoni »

If you are hoping to solve the side to side swing i rather suggest you put your bed in the length direction or never have sex in your van ;)

The side 2 side is pretty shitty and even if you change the shocks and stabilizer rubbers.
You will get used to the feeling driving a boat ;)
Robfp

Bericht door Robfp »

Not liking the sound of not having sex in the van :-( I could fit caravan style steadies to the rear or that 'special' night :-)

Yes it is the the side to side movement that I dont want. Bouncy maybe wasnt the correct word.

Was thinking that the Ambulance had different ie softer suspension than standard 609's and was hoping I could just update to standard 609 suspension? Is it different?
I am thinking maybe if replacing the shocks and springs isnt going to help, then maybe I could fit airbag suspension under the leaf springs.
Laatst gewijzigd door Robfp op 14 okt 2014, 19:24, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Robfp

Bericht door Robfp »

Yoni, Where are the stabilizer rubbers, as I better check them seeing anything rubber I expect has perished.
Yoni

Bericht door Yoni »

the rubbers are mounted at the torsion bar at the front and rear axle.
The torsion bar has 2 big rubbers en the 2 connecting rods have 2 cylindrical rubbers inserted at the ends .
The rebound was improved by renewing the shocks but the side movement actually never changed after the mods.

I also experienced this with a 711 non ambulance and i heard a mechanic complaining about getting seasick in the ecovan models.
so this is not really ambulance related.

The con of the parabolic leafs are that in the whole weight range they keep almost the same damping while a 508 drives a lot better with a ton of load in the back.

Check the rubbers bushings and the shocks if there not 100% anymore there is some gain for you!
DVIII

Bericht door DVIII »

nevertheless there is some improvement to be obtained with proper KONI shockabsorbers. they are made in the rural town of oud beijerland in the netherlands, and they make the van a lot less bouncy
Oh lord won't you buy me...... en de toekomst mag wel wat moderner !
Yoni

Bericht door Yoni »

I got the adjustable red koni shocks at the rear, didn't made the difference like i expected compared like the stocks so don't get your hopes up.

If your shocks are oke change the rubbers if needed.
Mayb go for the Koni shocks if you can get them for a very good price but I think there not worth paying over 80-100 euro each. (bought them new at marktplaats for 100 euro a set)
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Bericht door listerdiesel »

I obtained the factory build sheets for our 614D, and on it there is specified 'Soft Suspension' with anti-roll bars etc.

I assume this is the parabolic springs?

It does rock about a bit, but after an hour driving it is fine and I have adjusted to it. It is a big vehicle, 4.250 metre wheelbase and relatively narry track.

How it will go when finished I do not know!

Peter
Plaats reactie