Rear brakes

for our overseas visitors
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Re: Rear brakes

Bericht door Admin »

Must be because of some additional UK requirements. The two mixed systems - with an electrical compressor just for releasing the parking brake - don't make sense to me.
And I doubt if it is necessary for good and safe braking.

My first 608 SA, which contained many 913 parts, had incredible brakes, air powered hydraulic. From the factory specs:
a18 achse verstaerkt langsam
a53 vorderachse und bremse verstaerkt
b19 bremse hydr. 2-kreis/druckl. 2-kreis verstaerkt
b30 bremse lastabhaengig
b43 anhaengerbremse)
i.e.
slow, reinforced rear axle
front axle and brakes reinforced
brakes hydraulic twin-circuit / compressed air twin-circuit reinforced
brake load-adjusted
trailer brake

All that ever went wrong were hydraulic leaks. My subsequent projects (MB 817 and Blue Bird) never had any fault in their (full air) brake system.

For your information: MB has a very clever design vacuum pump/compressor. Exactly the same parts, with only the plate with the two air valves turned upside-down.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

No man can deny, die Gedanken sind frei!
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Bericht door listerdiesel »

Admin schreef:Must be because of some additional UK requirements. The two mixed systems - with an electrical compressor just for releasing the parking brake - don't make sense to me.
And I doubt if it is necessary for good and safe braking.
I don't know if the 668 chassis series was developed for bus operators, but as far as I know they were all the same, not just UK models.

It's the secondary braking, not the main braking, that was fine, so possibly it was designed to stop runaways.

When I get my EPC and WIS software working I will have more insight into the system.

I drove a 608D with 50kVA internal generator down to Greece and Crete on a movie shoot in 1981 and then back again.

Peter
DVIII

Bericht door DVIII »

thats a nice diagram , One can see now that the parkingbrake has a entire autonomous air system altough V2 is probably for air operated door systems on busses and an airhorn , but then the compressor ticks in every ten minutes . and like you suggest the importer probably had to meet servere standards for the emergencybrake . the two systems together have a lot of potential for alterations and controll . anyway its entirely against my personal k.i.s.s. program to avoid on-road failures ;-)
Oh lord won't you buy me...... en de toekomst mag wel wat moderner !
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Air operated entry/exit door would make sense, although ours was electric :GRIN: :GRIN:

Peter
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

listerdiesel schreef: I don't know if the 668 chassis series was developed for bus operators, but as far as I know they were all the same, not just UK models.
The 608 was also available as bus, a bit wider, called O309. O stands for Omnibus. An O309 could have been based on any chassis, 406/7/8/9, 508/608 and 613, all with their different engines, brakes and power steering... Unfortunately most documentation and websites on this subject are in German.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

DVIII

Bericht door DVIII »

goodmorning Ernest, I'm afraid I have to correct your logic , if the chassis is 406 , it is not an 608 omnibus chassis . but we are not here to catch flies , the MB omnibus department is like any other department in a big manufacturer organisation , autonomous ,if there is a demand for a 16 seater , rural use , zo they grab a 406/407 bus and change almost anything that defines the models from eachother , like first they start calling it a O309 / 65 hp / 4,6 tons ( we know thats a 406 van) , so next they build a widebody / 4100 WB / 130 hp coach , and they call it a O309 again ( 22 seater) chassis 313 we know as 613 van . and actually a 608 is a 310 chassis and anything under that is a 309 chassis and above the 310 is the 313 , 613 model. now here it comes , every market has different rules , so in some models O309 there were simple vacuum assisted brakes , and in other air assisted brakes , the posibility was as soon a OM 314 or OM352/353 was used , the bus could be air assisted. using single or dual brake systems. now on peters RV we even find a auxillary compressor doing nothing but taking the handbrake off .
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

DVIII schreef:now here it comes , every market has different rules
You're telling me! I lived in four European countries in the last 15 years. I had a Czech and a German vehicle approved in the Netherlands, two German ones in Belgium, a Belgian and an American one in Germany.
As for one, united Europe: there's a big gap between theory and practice :evil:

And about the type numbers: you're saying the same as I, but in more detail.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

DVIII

Bericht door DVIII »

@ Ernest , we could not agree more . The compressor does not have to change anything to become an air pump , its just the connections that are altered . ( i'm not such a fan of using "FYI" )
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are two vehicle designations for my vehicle, three if you include the number on the badge on the front, four if you include the model name!

W670 - Build type for the Vario trucks
668 - Chassis series for bus/coach (from the WIS documentation)
614D - Retail Model number
Vario - Retail Model Series

Peter
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

I think you're right. In a German Wikipedia I read:
Baureihe V668: ...... 614 D ....
And in some countries (outside Germany) I see W670 as another name for Vario, like here.

You probably are aware of the meaning of 614D:
6: 6 tonnes GVW,
14: (about) 140 DIN hp,
D: diesel powered.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

Plaats reactie