Antifreeze

for our overseas visitors
Plaats reactie
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Antifreeze

Bericht door listerdiesel »

It's that time of year again, and while I do have antifreeze in the Mercedes, its concentration and age are unknown, so I have looked for a recommended coolant additive that will do the job and also meet Mercedes-Benz approvals.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181354775940

This one ticks the boxes and is listed on the Mercedes-Benz approvals:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoliste ... chbegriff=

Not outrageously expensive (compared with Land Rover product!) and free carriage in the UK.

Where we are located is not the coldest part of the UK, we are relatively sheltered in a small cul-de-sac and one of our Discoverys is parked close across the front of the 614D.

I've just been out and checked the coolant at the drain tap, running freely and blue in colour, but I will drain and flush it out as soon as I get the new stuff.

Peter
Wim

Re: Antifreeze

Bericht door Wim »

Before you dispose of , maybe , good coolant .
You can test it with a tool like this http://www.tools2go.nl/10271665/koelvlo ... wgodmB4A3A . Sorry the text is in dutch , but i bet you can find a tool like this in the UK .
It might save you good money for all your vehicles .
Groeten Wim

Kan je er vooruit in ? Dan kan je er achteruit weer uit !
Admin
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Admin »

I was about to say that you'd better first check the freezing level of the coolant with a simple areometer, available for only a few quid, but Wim was ahead of me.

NB In practice vehicles nowadays are equipped all year around with coolant which protects to -30℃, as well as preventing corrosion. Your blue colour also points to a reasonable concentration.
Groeten,

Ernst / Admin

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

No man can deny, die Gedanken sind frei!
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Thanks, Guys, I'd feel happier with a known quantity in there, rather than what might be very old antifreeze.

I'm going to drain it out and change a couple of heater hoses while I'm at it, the ones in the engine bay that go to the heater matrix were cut into and a T-piece fitted to feed the rear saloon heater. The T-pieces are gone now and the hoses look original, so just about due for replacement! :GRIN:

I've just ordered the new hoses, should be here for Monday.

Peter

Edit:

The other job is to replace the hydraulic lines to the power steering reservoir. For some reason Mercedes routed them both through the wheelarch and in front of the wheel, so they get blasted with road dirt, salt and water. They have also been ordered.
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Update:

Antifreeze arrived this morning, very quick delivery but the container has been punctured and a fair bit has leaked out into the box it was shipped in.

Signed for it as Damaged and sent the vendor a message. Opened it in the presence of the delivery driver and we both agreed on 'damaged'.

Peter
listerdiesel
Contacteer:

Happy ending, the vendor has supplied a new 5 litres of the coolant and we get to keep what we have in the damaged container.

I'm also collecting water from the dehumidifier in the bus which will go into the radiator with the new coolant once I have enough.

Peter
Plaats reactie